HASKELL FREE LIBRARY
Pick up your passport and visit Vermont's amazing public libraries!
This summer from June first to September first, over one hundred Vermont public and academic libraries will be handing out passports in the second annual Passport to Vermont Libraries program, encouraging patrons to visit some of Vermont's unique, beautiful and creative libraries:
Local libraries will offer passport stamps and small prizes. Three patrons statewide (adult, young adult, child) will receive Vermont Library Ambassador awards for visiting the most libraries. New this year is a special award for the librarian who visits the most Vermont libraries.
Patrons are encouraged to post pictures and stories on the VLAs facebook page http://facebook.com/vermontpassport
One very interesting library to visit is Haskell Free Library which is in Derby Line and Canada. Notice the black line in the photo which is the international boundary!
Win a new Spirit E-210 Weber Gas Grill, 20-lb LP tank and Weber’s Art of the Grill cookbook! Total value $450.
Donated by a friend of the Kellogg-Hubbard Library with a generous contribution from Aubuchon Hardware.
Drawing is July 30, 2016
Tickets are $2 apiece, 6 for $10, or 15 for $20. Purchase your tickets at the Adult Circulation Desk or at the Montpelier Farmers Market.
On your mark get set...Read!:
- Register between June 27 and July 9 and receive your log book to track how much you read this summer. (Books read to you count!)
- Set a goal of books, pages or minutes. Keep track of your progress.
- Check in with Librarians at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of your goal for prizes along the way.
- Drop off your finished reading log by July 30 to get your final prize.
Camps and summer enrichment
*Please register at least 1 week ahead of time.*
- History Camp: Tuesday, July 12– Friday, July 15 1:30– 4:30 pm. Learn about ancient civilizations through hands-on activities. See History Camp brochure for more details. (Ages 6 and up)
- The Gift of a Second Language: July 13, July 20, July 27, and August 3, 3:00-4pm . Join Carlos Reyes to learn Spanish through songs, games, and storytelling. (Ages 4-7)
- Star Wars Camp: Wednesday, July 20 - Friday, July 22 10am-3pm. Yes we will watch some Star Wars, but we have hands-on activities and discussion of deeper plot elements and themes. (Ages 9 and up)
- Shakespeare Camp: Tuesday, August 16–Saturday, August 20 10am-1pm More details coming soon. One week, one play, fun for all (Ages 8 and up)
**For more information regarding Summer Reading programs, and Summer Camps visit the Kid Space (top of page)**
Tuesday, July 5 at 10:30 am Grossology Part I: Slime, goo, fake poo. Come make gross things with common kitchen ingredients. All ages. (Hayes Room)
Friday, July 8 at 10:30 am Finding Butterflies: Learn about eastern butterflies and how to find them. After the presentation, participants can make their own butterfly t-shirts. Bring your own shirt or purchase one for $4.00. All ages (Hayes Room)
Tuesday, July 12 at 10:30 am Grossology Part II: Wounds and blisters. Create a gash in your forehead or a blister on your palm. This messy workshop is not for the faint of heart. Wear old clothes! Ages 5 and up. (Library Lawn)
Friday, July 15 at 10:30 am Fun with Physics: Chemistry experiments such as exploding bags, fun with food coloring, and density columns. Ages 5 and up. (Library Lawn)
Tuesday, July 19 at 10:30 am Rockin’ Ron the Friendly Pirate: Sing and dance like a pirate with Rockin’ Ron. All ages. (Hayes Room)
Tuesday, July 26 at 10:30 am Dinosaur Days: Fun dinosaur crafts and activities for the dinosaur enthusiast. All ages. (Hayes Room)
Thursday, July 28 at 6:00 pm Drive in Movie Night: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Bring a box and make a car to sit in for the movie. All ages. (Hayes Room)
Friday, July 29 at 10:30 Fun with Physics: Marble madness. Create marble ramps out of household items. All ages. (Hayes Room)
Saturday, July 30 at 11:00 am Happy Birthday Harry Potter: Get sorted by a sorting hat. Participate in a potions class. Try a chocolate frog and much more. All ages. (Library Lawn)
Page 1 of 3